Parish Links With Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church
We actively promote many opportunities to work collaboratively with Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish and fellow Catholic schools. For example:
- Our school chaplain comes to see the children not just to celebrate Mass but to talk to classes about units of work they are studying e.g. Fr Craig has visited yr 3 to discuss Reconciliation, joined each class to focus on the meaning of the Advent Wreath as part of our Advent activities morning and talked to all classes during our Vocations Day.
- School Masses are highlighted in Parish newsletter.
- Children from our school serve at Sunday Mass and altar server training is provided in school by our school chaplain.
- Children have opportunities to develop their understanding and knowledge of the place of school, Parish, Diocese and wider Church in their lives. (For example: Children in Year 2 have a full day visit to the Church each summer. During this visit they develop their knowledge and understanding of the features of a Catholic Church, find out about the vestments the priest wears, and are taken round the Stations of the Cross. The day culminates with a Mass for the children and family members).
- Reception visit Church as part of their RE unit on Baptism.
- The whole school attends Church for our Feast Day Mass in July.
- Year 4 attend a PGL residential weekend, on which are accompanied by our school chaplain Fr Craig. The celebration of Mass is an incredibly important part of the weekend.
- The school has close meaningful links with Catholic schools in Redditch and Bromsgrove both within the MAC and through collaborative work with St Thomas More. We work closely together in order to find opportunities to come together as a wider school community eg MAC Remembrance Day Service, MAC Showcase, Parish Carol Concert, KS2 Carol Concert, Parish Fundraising Concert.
- We play an active part in the wider Catholic community through the Worcestershire Catholic Partnership (Sport and Music). After our Lenten Fund Raising for the Father Hudson Society, we send representatives to take our donation to the Annual Good Shepherd Mass in Worcester.
- Year 3 children take a key part in the Parish Sunday Liturgy for four Sundays during the year as part of their Sacramental preparation including writing and reading bidding prayers and delivering the offertory.
- We work collaboratively with the Parish to deliver our First Holy Communion Programme. As part of our First Holy Communion Programme 2017 – 2018 we have asked parishioners from Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church to sponsor a child and pray for them throughout their preparation in order to further strengthen the links between school and parish. Our Going Forth Mass and family picnic is celebrated at Church.
- In Autumn 2017, we held a ‘Community Harvest Celebration’ in which we invited members of Mount Carmel Seniors to visit school for an afternoon of entertainment and refreshments. The choir sang our favourite Harvest songs and hampers create through generous donations were presented by our yr 4 pupils.
For more information about Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, please follow the link below: