At Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic First School we follow an excellent scheme of work called Music Express.
Music is a unique way of communicating which can inspire and motivate children. It is a vehicle for personal expression and can play an important part in their development. It reflects the culture and society we live in and so the teaching and learning of music helps children to a better understanding of their world. It also plays an important part in making them feel part of a community and so contributes to the Catholic life of the school.
We provide opportunities for all children to
- create, play, perform and enjoy music
- develop the skills to appreciate a wide variety of musical forms
- begin to make judgements about the quality of music
- know and understand how sounds are made and then organised into musical structures
- know how music is made through a variety of instruments
- develop the interrelated skills of performing, composing and appreciating music.
We also foster a love and appreciation of music through our weekly ‘Musical Praise’ sessions and participation in a wide range of events including an annual MAC Showcase, MAC Awards’ Evening, performances for parents and opportunities to perform for the wider community eg, our Harvest Community Celebration, The Big Sing, School’s Gotta Sing. Miss Goode also runs an after school singing club every Wednesday.
National Curriculum Music Programme of Study: